Los Angeles Orthopedic Surgery
The unbearable pain that you experience when you break a bone makes you feel like the world has turned upside down. Even a dislocation or hairline crack can cause severe distress. As human beings, our pain manifests itself through tears, anger, frustration, and other such feelings. We immediately rush to the hospital and get treated. But what about our four-legged friends? How can they express themselves? Who looks after their orthopedic needs?
Orthopedic Surgery for Dogs & Cats: Caring, Dedicated, Trained
Call us today: (323) 739-0348
What is Orthopedic Surgery for Cats and Dogs?
Repairing a joint or bone is not an easy task, especially when it needs surgical intervention. Most times, an operation is a must when a congenital condition affects the joint, or when a bone is fractured, damaged, or broken due to trauma. Orthopedic surgery is needed to correct the affected joint or bone and return it to a normal state.
Orthopedic surgery for pets can be invasive or non-invasive when it comes to tackling the joints, skeletal system, associated soft tissues, muscles, ligament, tendons, and cartilage. Various orthopedic surgeries for pets are characterized by their cause and the part of the body affected.
What Causes the Need for Orthopedic Surgery in Cats and Dogs?
The need for surgery in pets is similar to that of human beings. As humans, we express any deterioration in health and ensure that we get immediate medical attention. But who speaks for animals? Most times, the need for orthopedic surgery is caused by trauma, and other causes are often missed until the symptoms start to show. Orthopedic surgery is needed when:
- Microorganisms cause infections in the skeletal system.
- The side effects of an immune disorder and/or cancer cause weakness in the bones, fractures, or sore joints (these side effects also lead to orthopedic diseases).
- Age-related conditions, such as wear and tear of the bones, resulting in arthritis.
- Trauma to the skeletal system causes damage to the soft tissue and/or bruising and fractures.
What are the Different Orthopedic Surgeries for Cats and Dogs?
There are a variety of orthopedic surgeries for your pet based on the condition being treated. These include:
• Femoral head osteotomy: This surgical operation removes the head and neck from the femur to alleviate pain.
• Medial Patellar Luxation (MPL) tackles the condition where the kneecap rides outside the femoral groove when the knee is flexed.
• Bone fracture repair surgery treats damage to the bone caused by trauma, stress, or side effects of certain diseases. Bone fracture surgery can be minimally-invasive as well.
• Amputation: Surgical removal of limbs due to illness, trauma, or congenital disabilities.
Cruciate Ligament Repair
Cruciate ligament surgery is designed to repair a torn ligament to restore full functionality. Unlike humans, who can participate in physical therapy and possibly heal without turning to surgery, a ruptured cruciate ligament in a dog or cat unstabilizes the joint, causing your pet to naturally transfer most of their weight to the other leg. This painful condition, if left untreated, can develop into more serious and permanent joint complications for your loved one.
Cruciate Ligament Repair Includes:
- TTA - Tibial Tuberosity Advancement
- TPLO – Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy
- Orthozip Lateral Stabilization Technique
- Lateral Suture Technique
- Ligament and tendon reconstruction
Other Surgical Procedures Include:
- Total knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total elbow replacement
- Limb deformity correction
- Hip and elbow dysplasia repair
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Orthopedic Pain in Cats and Dogs?
How do you know if your cat or dog is experiencing pain? What indicators point to a need for immediate medical attention? There are a few signs and symptoms that can help you judge whether your pet needs urgent care:
- Decreased social interaction
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
- Refusal to move or reduced activity
These symptoms are common to both cats and dogs.
Other symptoms exclusive to dogs include:
- Increased howling
- Excessive growling
Symptoms that cats show are:
- Reduced curiosity
- Lack of agility
Orthopedic Surgery at Affordable Animal Hospital Eagle Rock
If you notice any change in your pet’s behavior, seek medical attention immediately. At Affordable Animal Hospital Eagle Rock, we will ensure that your loving pet gets the best orthopedic treatment possible.